Everyday I’m shufflin’

Ok, not really. I’m running. Well, not everyday, but 3 days a week. Anyway, let me start at the beginning.

Several months ago, I was feeling tired of my workout routine (or lack thereof), and I went for a run outside. The next day, I was horribly sore from head to toe. I had been burnt out on working out in my living room before the kids got up (and they are waking up earlier and earlier these days), and realized running might be something I should be doing to get into shape. But there was a little problem – I hate running and have never been a good runner. A friend told me about the iPhone App Couch to 5K. I started the next week. It gradually works you up to a 5K with a voice telling you when to “Run now” and “Walk now”, in different intervals everyday, and running 3 days a week.

Soon after I started couch to 5K, my favorite non-profit organization, Donate Life Louisiana, released information that they will be hosting a 5K November 5. So that became my goal – to run a 5K non-stop – in November. The race is called “Rabalais Run for Life”. Please consider doing this with me. You actually have time to start Couch to 5K, and almost finish it in time for the race. I can’t believe I am about to say this, but I am loving running now. I think it has a lot to do with this goal of mine, but after couch to 5K I plan to start “bridge to 10K”, obviously a trainer for a 10K. Ouch!! We’ll see about that one!!

Then, when I went to visit my friend Jaime in Houston, there was talk of the Race for the Cure coming up, October 1. They already had a team started and I thought about it, and thought that maybe I could go back to Houston for that race. I have already been “training” for it, so why not just move my goal up a month and get ready for October 1. I’m all signed up for that one too, click here to sign up!! This race is obviously for breast cancer, so Jaime’s sister cleverly came up with a theme for Jaime’s team – PARTY ROCKERS FOR JAIME’S KNOCKERS!! Love it!! If you are unfamiliar with the song “Party Rock Anthem” by LMFAO, check it out here. I think this team will be doing a lot of “shuffling” come October 1.

About 3 weeks ago, I told Jon I didn’t think I could do it. I could make it 2 miles, but that last one was SSSOOOOOO hard. But I have kept going and kept trying. I have to say, the weather has been on my side the last 2 weeks. It makes a lot of difference if the humidity is less than about 70%.

Today I did it – I ran 3.1 miles without stopping!! It took about 33 minutes, and I had to push and push and push myself. I wanted to stop several times, but my desire to make it all the way to 3.1 miles kept me going. I’m going to keep running at 3.1 miles at least 3 times a week until Rabalais Run for Life, maybe longer Winking smile

Please join me in one of these races!! They are both great causes and both of these organizations have hit me close to home. Quite frankly, too close for comfort. Wish me luck – better yet, do it with me and I’ll wish you luck too!!

lopa logo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best Face Photo Contest

A friend in need.